In the current pandemic, we want everyone to stay healthy and safe, but we still have to communicate and share important information as your attorneys. Fortunately there are some great tools.
We have started using Zoom for video conference meetings with our clients. This program is widely available and has several important capabilities. We can see and hear each other. We can share documents on our screen so we can look at them together.
You can do Zoom by audio only, over the telephone, but it is better with video. Fortunately, most of us have tablets, smartphones or laptops with built in cameras.
Here is how it works: We send you an email with a link that you just click to log on. You will see a screen, and if you have not used Zoom before, you will be prompted to download a small Zoom app. If all goes well, you will soon see yourself on the screen and will be prompted to “Join with Video”. Once you do that, you will be in.
If we have set up a “meeting room” you will be asked to wait until you are let into the meeting by us.
We recommend that you start by running a test Zoom meeting. All you need to do is go to www.zoom.us/test and the program will run through to make sure your microphone or camera are working.
If you cannot connect with video, and are on a Windows10 PC or laptop, check your privacy settings as follows:
- Find the search icon, usually a magnifying glass on the lower left hand corner of your screen, or click Start then look for search, or press the Start key + X and select search from the drop down list.
- Then search for “camera privacy”. Make sure that you allow Access to the Camera. Then scroll down and make sure “Allow Apps to Access the Camera” and “Allow Desktop Apps to Access the Camera” are both set to “on”. Scroll down a little further and make sure that if Zoom is shown, it is allowed access.
If the problem is your microphone, first check to make sure the correct microphone is selected. (Search “Microphone”) If your camera has a built in microphone, make sure that is selected unless you are using something else. Next, follow the same steps as above but start with a search for “Microphone Privacy Settings”.
Here is a link to a Zoom FAQ page that should be helpful: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206175806
Suggestions for Video setup. We recommend the following:
- Do not sit with a window or light behind you. Automatic exposure adjustment will likely put your face in shadow.
- Find a quiet location where you will not be interrupted.
- If someone else in your household is joining on a separate device, please try to be in separate rooms to avoid feedback.
- If you are not speaking, or have background noise, you can mute yourself.
Email and scanning documents.
In almost every case, we need documents from you. Mailing them is one way to get them to us, but creating an Adobe .pdf of the scanned document is much better.
Many people do not have a scanner available. Some people take pictures but this does not create very usable document. For them, you can load Adobe Scan onto your phone, or a tablet or computer with a camera.
You can find Adobe Scan on your devices app store, or here: https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/mobile/scanner-app.html
We recommend it.
We look forward to helping you in these difficult and trying times.